Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 15 year old Pom-chi is pooping blood and can barely walk.

Customer Question

My 15 year old Pom-chi is pooping blood and can barely walk. Is it time to put her down?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

When did this begin? How is Agatha's health aside from the bloody stool? Can you tell me more about her?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
About a week ago with the walking and about a month ago off and on with the bloody stools. In July of 2013 she was diagnosed with CHF and she has been on Vetmedin since.

Has she been examined and treated for the concerns with walking and the intermittent bloody stool?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I don't want to put her through a bunch of tests. I call her my Hospice dog. I just want her to be comfortable.

If you do not want her to be uncomfortable even through testing, which may give your vet information on treatment, I would use the directions below to determine if it's time to euthanize.

I recommend to everyone that when considering euthanasia they do the following: Make a list of 10 things that your pet enjoyed doing when they were young. Perhaps that was playing fetch, riding in the car, etc. Now mark off all of the things that your pet can no longer do consistently due to age or illness. Once you're down to 5, it's time to discuss euthanasia and once 2-3 items remain, it's time to have the procedure performed.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion today?