Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

Can you give a dog pepto for an upset stomach? he threw up

can you give a dog pepto for an upset stomach?
he threw up and it was yellow mucosy stuff.

For an upset stomach I usually recommend Immodium, however without knowing the cause of his illness, its probably best to give him time and then try to feed him in a few hours. If he eats a little bit and and does ok, you can give him a little more. If he continues to vomit, the best thing to do is to take him to see your vet (you can wait until Monday if he is otherwise acting fine and seems to be drinking and able to hold that down). If he is not able to hold down water or is lethargic or does not want to eat, the best thing to do is to have him evaluated over the weekend at the local emergency clinic. They will know how to help him and which medications will be best for him, if any.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
immodium even though he is not having diahrrea?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
he was fine yesterday did not present not feeling well.

It helps to coat and dogs that vomit from gastroenteritis may also eventually develop diarrhea. Pepto bismol is not an anti-nausea medication, it works by coating the stomach as well. If you are looking for something to reduce stomach acid you can use omeprazole over the counter (1mg per 2 lb roughly) or 5mg once daily for a small dog. If the vomiting continues, however I recommend a veterinary exam as there are lots of things that can cause vomiting and some are serious while others are less so.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
thank you very much. have a nice day.

You're very welcome.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
how much of the immodium do i give him he weighs 6 lbs. litlle guy

1/4-1/2 teaspoon or about 1-2ml if you have a syringe to measure this way. You can give this twice a day for 2-3 days at the most but if he is continuing to vomit or is not eating or is lethargic, he needs to be examined by a veterinarian.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
ma'am If he is not better I will definately get him to the vet. again Thank you

You're welcome. Best of luck to you!! I hope he feels better soon!!

Hi Cheryl,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Dax. How is everything going?
Dr. Ellie