Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a pit since he was a puppy and is about seven years

Customer Question

I have a pit bull since he was a puppy and is about seven years old in dog years. He is still eating but has diarrhea and his stomach is begin to swell. What could be wrong with our dog?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Dollar. If you're seeing his stomach swell, it's likely to be effusive - fluid is filling the abdominal space. This occurs secondary to right-sided heart failure, a lack of the small protein albumin in his blood stream due a poorly functioning liver unable to manufacture enough albumin or albumin is being lost through damaged kidneys or bowel, inflammation in his abdomen due to infection or malignancy, or bleeding from a ruptured tumor.

Dollar's vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam on Dollar including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and X-rays and ultrasound of Dollar's heart and lungs and abdomen, respectively. If fluid is confirmed with X-rays or ultrasound, a small amount will be removed for analysis of its physical properties and cellularity. This type of analysis is very important in guiding Dollar's vet course of action.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.