Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dogs just ate an undetermined but large amount of

Customer Question

my dogs just ate an undetermined but large amount of cadaflex soft chews
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: it was two of them. molly and rosie 2 years old. I have read that I need to induce vomiting. So i have given them hydrogen peroxide but it does not seem to be doing the job
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: i already said. Molly and Rosei
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: I gave them both 25 ml of hydrogen peroxide. They weigh around 54 lbs a piece.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
one of my dogs just vomited but I don't see any of the black stuff in her vomit like i would expect.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you there?

This product contains a number of neutraceutics prescribed to address osteoarthritic symptoms. In general, even ingesting an egregious amount doesn't result in anything other than transient gastrointestinal distress - vomiting, diarrhea, and inappetence. I don't advocate inducing vomiting for that reason. Dosing of 3% hydrgoen peroxide for dogs of their size would be 45 mL (3 measuring tablespoons). You could repeat that dose in 15 minutes but it isn't necessary to do so.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am not sure who ate what. but it could be near 100 chews

I understand. I've had patients ingest entire bottles of these products. They're not intoxicated but as with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hello?

Can you see my response above your "hello"? This is what I posted: "I understand. I've had patients ingest entire bottles of these products. They're not intoxicated but as with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise."

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok just making sure. I love my dogs and I read that very large dose can cause liver failure

Large doses of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAID) can be hepatotoxic. This product doesn't contain an NSAID. Instead, boswellia serrata - a non-toxic antiinflammatory gum resin - is found. Please continue our conversation if you wish.