Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Since yesterday my dog is acting diffrent and his hind legs

Customer Question

Hi, since yesterday my dog is acting diffrent and his hind legs are kind of whobbely when he walks.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes I checked him all out ,cant see any injuries.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bruno and he is 8 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bruno?
Customer: His back looks a little arched when he is standing and when he tries to wag his tail its just a little movement
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bruno. The "hunch" in his back and ataxia ("drunken sailor") in his hind legs is strongly suggestive of a myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) such as intervertebral disk disease (a "slipped disk") or fibrocartilaginous embolism (an interruption in the blood supply to his spinal cord). Less commonly, encephalopathy (brain disorder) can manifest in this manner. Bruno's vet will want to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam on Bruno paying particular attention to his spine. Testing for areas of hyperpathia (increased sensitivity) in his back) and for his conscious proprioception (knowing where his legs are in space) and nociception (deep pain perception) will be performed which should give you a prognosis for Bruno's return to function. In most cases a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam, a skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam, and a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol will be prescribed for a minimum of 10 days.

For now, keep Bruno as quiet as possible lest he hurt himself further. The NSAID aspirin can be given to him at a dose of 10mg/lb with food twice daily until he can see his vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.