Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog is 16 years old and has some kind of dermatitis-type

Customer Question

My dog is 16 years old and has some kind of dermatitis-type allergy that has caused a great loss of his hair. Because of his age, my dog (Blizzard) stay in the house. His hair loss is so great until I have to shampoo my carpet weekly an vacuum daily. What is your suggesting of what maybe happening to him, and what is the best course of action?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Blizzard. I believe it maybe some type of allergy. Every time I let him outside he sneezes.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Blizzard?
Customer: No
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Is he itching or have any changes to the skin (ie pustules, pimples, sores,ulcers, dander, crusting, etc)?

Any areas of baldness?

Any weight loss?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Initially Blizzards skin would have some crusting, remain for about a month followed by hair loss near the area of the crusting. Now, there is no crusting, just hair loss. This was a gradual occurrence for about 1 year. The appearance of incrustation, itching than hair loss. Areas located near the genital area where hair loss occurred turns red, but without pain, he just itches a lot in the area.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No , I do not want to talk.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 days ago.

No worries, please disregard the auto phone call offer.

Now if he is itching along with the hair loss, then an allergy is a concern. Though if you are also seeing crusting, that does suggest a low grade bacterial infection as well.

With this in mind, we would need to start by tacking the itching/irritation, since that is going to be at the root of Blizzard's hair loss. To address this, we could consider using an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). Of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. And I'd note that if his irritation is severe, then you could also have his vet treat with injectable long acting steroids or an immune modulating drug to manage the allergy.

Further to this, with how long this has been ongoing, I'd also suggest supplementing the skin with essential fatty acids (EFA) for a few weeks. EFA’s are the fats that are part of skin cells composition and play a role in their health and coat growth. They are often used therapeutically in the management of a number of skin disorders. Commonly we can supplement this by adding oily fish (ie salmon, a common EFA source) to their diet. As well, we can orally supplement using Omega 3 + 6 fish oil or even evening primrose oil. Further to these, there are also OTC oral EFA supplements like Viacutin or Yumega. And if we can restore skin and coat health,we'd hope to again reduce his hair loss and help soothe that skin.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.