Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is all the sudden having trouble walking, No wounds

Customer Question

My dog is all the sudden having trouble walking
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds he's hunched over. He's a Doberman. Seems like maybe he's having trouble pooping too
JA: What is the Doberman's name and age?
Customer: Jake he's 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jake?
Customer: He was perfectly fine until last week. He was like this last Friday and then snapped out it. I have to help him get up to walk now We have an appt tuesday
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is he favouring any legs?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Any pain when you press on his hips or back?

How long has it been since he passed stool? Was it hard or soft?

Any appetite loss?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any chance of a trauma or fall?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It seems like it may be his hips. He actually pooped and ate this mornin. I got him a sling to help him walk.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

I am glad to hear that he has and is more mobile this morning.

If you do think it is his hips, I would note that you may want to consider supporting Jake's joints at this stage. To do so, there are some OTCsupplements to naturally reduce inflammation and support his joints. For example, you can consider supplementing him with fish oil (omega 3 or 6; EPA/DHA) and/or glucosamine/chondroitin. In regards ***** ***** fish oil, these can be helpful as they do have anti-inflammatory properties. In regards ***** ***** we tend to give this at a rate of 20mg per pound of their body weight.

Furthermore, you can use glucosamine/chondroitin here. These are a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). They work to aid joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. So, these would be worth consideration for him.

Otherwise, we could also use a mild anti-inflammatory like a low dose of buffered Aspirin (More Info/Dose@ HERE). Of course, this needs to be given after food and we'd want to double check with his vet if he has any known health issues or is on any other medication. And if he were to struggles with his joints more, then it is worth a word with his vet about dog safe pain relief/anti-inflammatory medication (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Previcox, etc) to have on hand to prevent further flare ups like this.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.