Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dogs stomach is constantly making noise. It doesn't

Customer Question

Hello my dogs stomach is constantly making noise. It doesn't appear he got into anything. I just gave more food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is stomach?
Customer: 2 years He just passed some gas I think.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about stomach?
Customer: I don't think he got anything. He is acting fine.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now we can see these signs when our dogs do have mild gut upsets. Since he isn't likely to have eaten anything harmful, you can try to soothe this for him. To do so, we can often settle the stomach using an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once that has had time to absorb and he is steadier on his stomach, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. We can even add OTC dog probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) to help support the good gut bacteria and use a small dose of OTC activated charcoal (250-500mg) to reduce any gas he may be having.

Overall, this does just sound like a mildly unsettled gut and perhaps he has had a disruption of the good gut bacteria by an opportunistic bacteria or dietary indiscretion. In either case, we'd want to use the above to try and nip this in the bud for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.