Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I've treated two of my dogs for whip worm, they look like

Customer Question

I've treated two of my dogs for whip worm, they look like they gained a little weight back but that's it. They are both still very skinny.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Phelix is going to be four soon and Everest is 10 months. Both started losing weight after drinking rain water.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Phelix?
Customer: No.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Have they had diarrhea?

Are they eating well?

What diet are you feeding them?

Do you think they are drinking more than they used to?

Are they passing more or watery urine?

Any previous access to toxins?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
they eat plenty of food, scarf it down. No access to toxins. Soft stools but not diarrhea or vomiting. I feed them the premium blend of Victors dog food. Both dogs when to my husband's work a couple of months back and drank some nasty water that led into a ditch. I suspect coccidia or whipworms. I used to work at a vet clinic neither dogs act sickly. Just skinny and occasionally grumpy. But otherwise fine.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now to start if you have wormed them but weight gain is still an issue, it would be ideal to have a stool sample analysed. To keep costs down, you could pool a sample from both but that way we can make sure there are no wormer resistant worms still present while also ruling out protozoa and bacterial causes for the loose stool. And I have to say that even if it isn't diarrhea, loose stool is a sign of nutrient loss. So, it is possible that that is playing a role in their lack of weight gain. Otherwise, we'd be concerned about protein losses in their urine but its unusual to see that with 2 dogs.

Otherwise we will want to try to firm those stools to reduced gut based protein losses that should be going to weight for them. To do so, you can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to their food. As well, an OTC probiotic (ie Fortiflora, Benebac, Propectalin) would also be ideal to support optimal digestion. And further to the food you are feeding, considering supplementing with a calorie rich option (ie Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or puppy food) as these will have more nutrients per bite and can just help us get some weight on as we try to counter those suspect stool losses.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've got it figured out! Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

I am glad to hear it.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )