Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our mixed terrier (39 lb) seems to have some kind of

Customer Question

Our mixed terrier (39 lb) seems to have some kind of irritation in the rectal area. He scoots in circles on the cement patio making noises like he is groaning for long periods of time. The anal glands have been expressed to rid him of this but didn't help. He is on an anti allergen diet and has regular bowel movements that are well formed and of normal consistency. We can't understand why this continues to be an issue. Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now I am glad to hear that Buddy's anal glands have been emptied and hopefully the discharge removed was normal. If we can put infection within the glands aside then our main concners for his signs is left over anal gland inflammation or allergies that aren't diet sensitive. In this case, we can at least rule out the latter with a trial on an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce any allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

As well, while doing this, we can consider increasing his dietary fiber be adding canned or boiled pumpkin to his food. This will just firm his feces more to help them express the glands naturally. And if it is a mild settling inflammation that may be all we need to do. Of course, if the signs linger then you may want to ring the vet that expressed his glands to request a short course of dog safe anti-inflammatories to nip that in the bud for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?

Dr. B.