Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

What is your recommendation for excessive licking? My dog

Customer Question

Hello, what is your recommendation for excessive licking? My dog will lick her elbows, wrists or feet until they get raw. I have tried applying bitter cherry or even a solution of Tramadol (the taste of which she usually detests), and changing her food to a non-grain variety (pricey). None of these seem to help. At least she tolerates a hood, but she sure doesn't look happy. Just got a book that suggests this behavior may be due to neuropathic pain. Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog!

Do you know if your vet thinks this licking is due to allergies or if they said/called it a "lick granuloma"? Is it the same spots in these locations that your dog is licking at repeatedly? Does a wound develop at the site?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Cassie did at one time develop a lick granuloma. More recently, she has licked various parts of her feet, and her elbows, to the point that they were raw. There certainly have been wounds. It's not always the same place; it seems like she will fixate somewhere and then, some time after it heals and we remove her hood, she'll go after another place.
Vet did mention allergies, but my wife says that he didn't prescribe or recommend anything.
I meant to add that for a while we gave her clomicalm from the vet, and more recently have been giving her Pro-sense calming tablets from wal-mart, with little apparent effect. We walk her a mile almost every day. She has shown signs of separation anxiety since we got her in '07 (humane society adoption), but it's usually just watching us sorrowfully and spending 20 minutes or so at the doorway. Nothing serious besides her licking, which doesn't seem to be directly related to whether either of us is around.
Thank you for your prompt answer. Didn't realize you had responded so quickly. Just answer's e-mail didn't show that you had replied.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you need anything more from me? Do you have anything more than those questions?