Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

She jumped off the couch yesterday and was limping after

Customer Question

she jumped off the couch yesterday and was limping after that . today she was still limping but walked and just slept most of the day , she seems to cry a little not much but i wanted to know if i could give her gabapentin for pain , i take it and was just wondering if it could help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: she is 9 and her name is sadie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about sadie?
Customer: no , just she seems fine , is eating good , we did not walk her today but she jumped in and out of car with no problem , im concerned over the limp and how long it will last
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 10 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I will do my best to help you. I'm reviewing your question now and I will post back to you ASAP.

With that history of jumping down from the couch followed by limping is characteristic of a possible spinal disc compression or herniated disc.

Could you please tell me what is Sadie's breed and weight.

Also is she weak in the hindquarters, walking stiffly on both hind legs or limping on only one hind leg?