Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 23 pound russel ate my 70 pound dog florinef. 0.3 mg.

Customer Question

My 23 pound jack russel ate my 70 pound dog florinef. 0.3 mg. What should I expect?? thx
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if russel will be able to digest that. How old is russel?
Customer: 12
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about russel?
Customer: No she is healthy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. A typical dose rate for this drug { Florinef or fludrocortisone } in 23 pound dog would be around 0.1 mg, so 0.3 mg is an overdose.

2. Where a dog takes an overdose of any drug not prescribed for it one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However if you fail to induce vomiting then the chances are that this would not be such a serious situation, my experience is that this sort of overdose in a dog would only lead to a transient increased thirst and urination and the dog would then return to normal over a period of 12 - 24 hours. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She has not vomited yet! Should I give her more??
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Answer??

Sure, you can safely try it a second time 15 minutes after the first attempt ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Florinef incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.