Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My hurt his back right leg when he was a baby. It still

Customer Question

My ***** ***** hurt his back right leg when he was a baby. It still bothers hime from time to time. This summer he hurt his right front paw/leg. I think a bigger dog stepped on it. He isn't running like he used to. He loved to run. He is 9 years old but has been like a puppy. He has really slowed down on his running. The vet did give me an anti-inflammatory but it doesn't seem to have helped. Not positive which foot it actually is in the front. :( What should I do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Were any x-rays performed?
2) Can you post a video from the front of him walking toward you so that I may see what you're seeing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No X-rays but I think I want to get them. I took a very short video but I don't think you can tell
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is saying my file is to large. It like a 4 second video

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like tinypic.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tried the attachment function. It says add files

You might try youtube instead. Sometimes the file attachment function can be difficult to work with.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj5MozXhxv4&feature=youtu.be

It looks to me like it's the left front. He's definitely still got some pizzaz!

Because the NSAIDs aren't working so well for him, your next step should be x-rays and talking to your vet about adding pain management unless they believe an underlying cause might be present such as a tick borne illness, at which point blood work would probably be indicated. It may also help them to see the video you have showed me as often pets won't do in clinic what they're doing at home which can make diagnosis difficult.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
in the video it does look like it is his left. Just so we are on same page we are talking aboutHIS left not when looking at him correct?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No pain management because he doesn't show pain. But he was limping on one of the front ones

It would be his left, not the right side of the video. I see above that you felt it was the right front paw. This either means that it's shifting (switches limbs) or that it appears off on the video. What I'm seeing specifically is that he leads off with the right front and seems to throw the left front out in an awkward manner compared to his right.

Pain management may still be indicated. Misuse of a limb can be a symptom of pain, they don't need to be vocalizing to show discomfort. This is one common misconception about pain in meds. Often they show us they are not feeling well in ways we would not expect (such as blinking of the eyes, not using a limb but not vocalizing when it's touched, etc).