Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 14 year old Westin, she has liver disease... but is

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old Westin, she has liver disease... but is on a homeopathic medicine for that and has been responding great with that... but all of a sudden she has more trouble getting up , standing, walking, she stands but is shaken and when she walks she limos with her right back leg
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is lucy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about lucy?
Customer: She had a tumor in her right ear. They removed most of it twice, but said they couldn't get it all without taking her whole ear, and that would be too much with her age and all that's going on with her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Lucy's difficulty rising, shaking when she stands (a pain response), and lameness in a hind leg isn't likely to be related to her liver nor the tumor in her ear. At Lucy's advanced age I would be concerned about osteoarthritis in her spine or hips or perhaps a myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) such as intervertebral disk disease (a "slipped disk"), fibrocartilaginous embolism (an interruption of the blood supply to her spinal cord), or a tumor in or around her spinal cord. Pragmatically speaking, a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam should be considered for such a patient unless her liver precluded the use of such a drug. The narcotic tramadol might be safer than an NSAID for Lucy; however, while a potent analgesic, tramadol isn't antiinflammatory which would be necessary if Lucy's spinal cord is being compressed by a disk or tumor.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.