Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is a lab mix and she ate 13 100 mg carprofen

Customer Question

My dog is a lab mix and she ate 13 100 mg carprofen prescribed today for my mastiff. What do i do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kady and she is 5
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kady?
Customer: No, she is crazy tho.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

How much does Crazy Kady weigh, please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
65 ish pounds
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is snoozing now...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should i just give her food???

Thank you. In otherwise healthy dogs, a review of the ASPCA APCC database historically indicated that fairly severe gastrointestinal signs may be seen at doses exceeding 20 mg/kg and that diuresis to prevent renal damage should be recommended at 40 mg/kg and above (ASPCA APCC Database: Unpublished data, 2001-2009). Kady weighs 30 kg. 1300 mg/30 kg = 43 mg/kg. That's enough to dictate having her diuresed by her vet. If she ingested the carprofen within a couple of hours, we need to see if we can remove them from her stomach by inducing emesis with 3% hydrogen peroxide. The dose is 45 mL (3 measuring tablespoons) given with a small poultry baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek. She should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok

Keep me posted, please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She ate them about 30 min ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will do....thanx!!!!

You're welcome!!!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good grief. Too much drama tonite 4 me! I took Kady to the drugstore to get hydroperox and a droppee and she would NOT take it, so I drove her crazy butt thru taco bell, squirted it in a bean burrito, and now I am just waiting for her to puke! Fun times. I also grabbed a bag of marshmallows at the check out and somehow the backseat crew snagged them, so I got all 3 of them a burrito. They drive me nuts. Olli is a Golden that loves everyone. If he sees the postman while we are walking, he will take off and jump in his truck and try to sit in his lap. Peanut is a b----- who is a small mutt that does not like anyone but me. Aaaaaaaaghhghhhhh! Thx for your help!

That has to be the most unique manner in which to to get peroxide into a dog I've ever heard. You got 45 mL (3 measuring tablespoons) into a bean burrito?!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had already gotten about half of it in her mouth with just the dropper

Ah! Now let's hope she barfs!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is snoozing again. I will let ya know if anything changes

Thank you. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh goody. I am sure she will. She is asleep out back on my outdoor furniture. I keep checking on her.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will let u know how this goes, and give u an awesome rating! Really appreciate your help. I got coated aspirin for Bosco to replace the Carprofen she ate. He is a 146 lb. Mastiff.

Wait at least 24 hours from the last carprofen dosed to Bosco. We don't want two NSAIDs on board at the same time lest GI distress arises. Dosing of aspirin is 10 mg/lb with food twice daily.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, cool!

I'll watch for your next post.