Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I pulled a deer tick off of my dogs head and noticed that a

Customer Question

I pulled a deer tick off of my dogs head and noticed that a bump formed in that same area. It is raised up and is orange/brown and crusty on top. I've been watching in for a few days and it doesn't seem to be getting any smaller. I also can feel a smaller bump forming near the first one.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Tripp.

It's not uncommon for lesions such as you're seeing to develop after a tick has been removed from a dog's body, especially if it was a deer tick.

On rare occasions, I've seen these areas become infected but usually they don't; however, it can take up to a week or longer for the inflammation to resolve and the skin to return to normal.

I usually suggest that owners clean the area with dilute over the counter Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea) but don't remove the scab.

Over the counter antibiotic ointment can be applied after the Betadine drys.

I've found that these lesions rarely bother the dog from whom they were removed but if Tripp seems a little uncomfortable, Aspirin can be given as long as he's not vomiting nor taking any nsaid medication. The dose would be 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset.

I hope this helps to reassure you about him. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Tripp. How are things going with the lesion on his head? Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.
Hi Lexi Wilson,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tripp. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb