Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

He is shaking moaning and not eating. wont even try to jump

Customer Question

he is shaking moaning and not eating. wont even try to jump onto the couch
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: booboo is 8 and 1/2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about booboo?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that Boo Boo is not feeling well. You did not say what breed Boo BOO is but if he is a smaller breed, this may be caused by an unstable disc in his back. The fact that he is shivering tells us he is in pain and the fact that he will not jump on the couch tells us that he is in too much pain to do this.

Since this disc is deep within the vertebrae, he will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when BooBoo jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as you can get Boo Boo to eat something, even if you have to force feed him, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing his pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow him to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine your sweet Boo Boo to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
booboo is a shnoodle. he is med sized
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he does stop shaking when I cover him up and keep him warm

That could mean that he is running a fever since this could also be an infection that he may have picked up. The aspirin will help even this but it is very important that you only give this with food...if you cannot force feed him something, take him to your vet for an exam.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta