Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog all of the sudden can't jump and has weekness in back

Customer Question

My dog all of the sudden can't jump and has weekness in back legs. He also is scratching alot. His appetite is tremendous. He's14 and a small lab mix
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Middynite. His extreme polyphagia is the most important clue. This is seen with diabetes mellitus, Cushing's disease, hyperthyroidism, and both maldigestion and malabsorption disorders in the gastrointestinal tract. Diabetes, Cushing's disease, and hyperthyrodism (rare) will also cause polydipsia/polyuria (increased thirst/increased volume of urine). His inability to jump and back leg weakness is consistent with an overall weakness if any of those disorders is well-advanced but can also be seen with osteoarthritis in his spine or hips and other myelopathies (spinal cord disorders) such as degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk").

His vet will want to thoroughly examine Middynite including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. You should know within 24 hours why he's behaving in that manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Middynite. How is everything going?