Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I am not sure but my 9 month old cockapoo may have ingested

Customer Question

I am not sure but my 9 month old cockapoo may have ingested volatren about 30 minutes ago. I cannot be sure if she did. What should I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Abbey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Abbey?
Customer: Nothing
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 days ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How many milligrams was the Volatren?

2- How much does Abbey weigh?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Abbey is 18 lbs and it was 75mg pill
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I do have hydrogen peroxide 3%
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 days ago.

To make sure we are speaking of the same medication, this is diclofenac, correct?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The brand name is ***** ***** am not sure if it has another name
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I do see it on the prescription label it is diclofenac
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 days ago.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 days ago.

Friend, diclofenac, unfortunately, has a very narrow safety margin in dogs. As low as 0.5-1mg/kg we begin to see gastrointestinal ulceration; renal failure can occur at any dose, but, usually more when closer to 4mg/kg. In this case, based on weight your dog could have taken a dose of 9mg/kg which is significant.

To be on the safe side I would try to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide or take her to the nearest veterinarian within the hour and they can induce vomiting with apomorphine (better option). To induce vomiting with peroxide this is what you can do:

1- Give her 2 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If she does not vomit or you do not see the pill in the vomit I would have her checked this morning by your vet for supportive care (activated charcoal, IV fluids, monitor kidneys, etc.).

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 days ago.
Hi Shelly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter