Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Our 12 yo lab/dane has terrible diarrhea. Think she may have

Customer Question

Our 12 yo lab/dane has terrible diarrhea. Think she may have eaten some human food. She only tolerates trader joes canned (½ can) and 1 cup brown rice. Her stool is usually great. Can we give her imodium, she is 105 lbs. Many thanks\
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the human will be able to digest that. What is the human's name?
Customer: Matt\
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Matt\?
Customer: otherwise very healthy
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Mislead to believe I would get an answer sooner than 1 day. Did not ask question.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 15 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** question, as she is a larger lass, you can potentially use Imodium. Though do note that doses are very small for dogs and it can cause sedation, lethargy, belly discomfort, and sometimes neurological signs. So, she can have no more than 4mg every 12 hours. Otherwise, you could use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 days ago.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.