Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Licked some upholstery cleaner. He's eating grass and

Customer Question

licked some upholstery cleaner. He's eating grass and throwing up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: cooper, 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about cooper?
Customer: hes not very smart....
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long ago?

What is the active ingredient in the product?#

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
10 hours ago. He couldn't keep anything down last night. Tried water this morning and so far he is tolerating it. It was Bissell carpet and upholstery cleaner. His gums are pink, no belly pain apparent to me.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 days ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that he is tolerating the water now and has none of those more serious signs I asked about.

Now at this stage, we will need to keep a close eye on him. If he is showing any more signs of nausea, then we can consider supportive care. To start, we can try him with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Otherwise, if he does keep the water down and we do want to restart feeding him, we can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset.

Finally, just since it does sound like Cooper did quite a bit of vomiting, we will want to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE ( If you do see any of these signs already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, this does sound like Cooper is turning a corner here with his gut upset. Therefore, do monitor his keeping water down and consider a light diet for him. And if he doesn't seem totally settled, then an antacid can be used to get his poor stomach settled here.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 days ago.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.