Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

For the past couple days, my dog has been waking up crying

Customer Question

For the past couple days, my dog has been waking up crying and random times. At first I thought it might be nightmares but I've notice that when he wakes up crying his head is slightly tilted like his neck is stiff or in paint. He is an14 year old Pomeranian mix
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rex
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rex?
Customer: No he's happy and healthy. He did have an infection a couple months ago in his teeth and had to get his two back molars extracted
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
When will I get an answer?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. My concern in dogs such as Rex is head pain associated with encephalopathy (brain disorder) at his age. He may be experiencing complex partial seizures which are waking him or simply experiencing the pain of a head tumor - the most common of the encephalopathies at his age. The etiology of his behavior is going to be a challenge to clarify without having a thorough physical and neurologic exam performed which might need cerebrospinal fluid analysis and MRI performed by a specialist veterinary neurologist.

A complex partial seizure (also called psychomotor seizure) is described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, e.g.) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.