Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I have a 3 year old dachshund who has been nursing her 4

Customer Question

Hello,my name is Roger
I have a 3 year old dachshund who has been nursing her 4 pups for a month now.I concerned because I often find her breathing shallow&rapidly. Is this normal?
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 12 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Boo Boo. The breathing shallow and rapidly could be normal but it could be early signs of other issues. One of the most common reasons I see nursing females at my ER is due to them becoming hypocalcemic. Basically what happens is mom is putting so much calcium into the milk production for the pups that she gets low herself and starts to have trembling and twitching. This is something that is more common for smaller breed dogs with decent to larger sized litters later in the nursing period. At 4 weeks of age, the demands on mom can be reduced by starting to wean the pups. The breathing shallow and rapid, could that be due stress? It is important to look how she's doing otherwise. I would hope that she's still eating and drinking well despite this. I wouldn't want to see her having any coughing or nasal discharge.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for the quick response.yes she eats and drinks very well
And no coughing or nasal discharge
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 12 days ago.

That is good that there is no coughing or nasal discharge. If she's still eating well, drinking well, not having mammary glands that are painful / swollen, not having vaginal discharge, and not having trembling - then it would seem that the more critical things are not happening. Can she get comfortable and breath normal?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
the symptoms are not constant
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 12 days ago.

I'm sorry about my replying now. I went off line late last night. How is Boo boo doing at this time?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
You answered my question
I have read your answer 3 times
I have responded 2 times
Stop sending me the same thing over and over
I hope I have only been charged only once
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 11 days ago.

You're not being charged multiple times. This forum is a back and forth situations with some cases. Sometimes it takes a lot of back and forth conversation to get everything covered. I hope that things continue to go overall well for Boo Boo. Getting those pups weaned again is going to take a lot of stress off her as far as milk production and the risk of her becoming hypocalcemic. The signs for it area trembling and twitching in a non-controlled manner. I just saw another case last week at my ER where a small chihuahua had a case of hypocalcemia from a litter of 3 pups still nursing at 6 weeks of age and mom just couldn't keep up. I honestly don't know all the "pop ups" or "reminder" things that get sent to you by the sight. Feel free to respond if I've created some more questions. Again, I am hoping for the best for Boo Boo.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 8 days ago.
Hi Roger,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Boo Boo. How is everything going?