Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

12 lb Pomeranian Dog is panting and restless. He will run on

Customer Question

12 lb Pomeranian Dog is panting and restless. He will run on the grass with encouragement but mostly just wants to sit in place. Current on all his shots but hasn't been to vet in a while. Just had his anal glands expressed at the groomer who said they were "very full". He seemed tremendously relieved when i picked him up. This was just a couple weeks ago. Could it be the same problem?
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I checked his skin elasticity normal
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 10 days ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is he scooting at all? Any signs of pain?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Just the restlessness and panting/whining. Nothing acute
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
A lot of the time he will run in a quick circle than sit back down in the same spot

Okay thanks for the additional information. Was he also restless before he had his anal gland expressed by the groomer? It is possible that it could be due to the anal glands. They definitely can be uncomfortable when they are full. To determine if that is the case, I would recommend that you have a veterinarian look at them. Just in case they are infected or difficult to express. Many groomers have to express the anal glands from the outside and they may have problems emptying them completely. Your veterinarian may be comfortable express the anal glands from inside the rectum which increases the likelihood that they can be completely emptied.