Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I'm asking this question for my brother..... he had a liter

Customer Question

I'm asking this question for my brother..... he had a liter of american bulldog puppies. He has both the mother and the father. The father only had 1 set of shots because he had a bad allergic reaction to the shots and the vet recommended not getting any more shots. The puppies are now 14 weeks old and they kept one of them and that pup is current on shots. One of the puppies that was given away visited about a week ago and they just found out it has had no shots yet and came down with parvo. Is it possible that the father and the puppy contract parvo?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to assist you with this.

Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.

So, yes it is possible that the father and puppy could contact Parvo....

Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.

You will know in 14 days if they will as that is how long that it takes for Parvo to incubate....

Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.

Unfortunatley, there is nothing that can be done to stop this you will just have to wait and see if it happens.....

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The puppy that has had vaccinations (2 sets) can still get it? Is there anything that should be done to the house or yard?
Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.

Yes, two sets of vaccines are not 100 percent protective......

Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.

Puppies are not immune completely until about 3 weeks after last vaccine given at 18 weeks of age.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.

Now to answer your question about the yard.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.

So, the Parvo virus can live in the environment for up to two years....you can clean up the poop but there is nothing that can kill Parvo in the soil. Parvo can only be killed on hard surfaces..... you will need to not allow access to the yard for a period of 2 years......and I would get the father vaccinated having a vet use a premed of diphenhydramine and some steroid if necessary to prevent allergic reaction.....your brother should talk to your vet about this. Parvo vaccine usually does not cuase allergic reaction and you could get the father vaccinated just for Parvo and Rabies......just a thought.....and diphenhydramine can be used before Parvo vaccine given....

Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.

You will have to walk the dogs somewhere else until they are both well vaccinated for Parvo.....once they are totally vaccinated then they should be able to go back out in yard....

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you!! I will pass the info onto them.
Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.

Do you have any other questions?

Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much. DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.

Can I help you with anything else?

Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr B