Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

My dog was placed on temaril P and minocycline yesterday

Customer Question

My dog was placed on temaril P and minocycline yesterday morning so she has had 3 doses - treatment for bronchitis. She should have another dose in about 3 hours. She is panting and coughing MUCH worse than before. I would like to NOT give her the next dose and get her into the clinic first thing in the morning. Is this what I should do, or should I keep her on her dose tonight? I know there are issues with quick changes in the steroid -
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Reba. Australian Shepherd. Age 10
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Reba?
Customer: She has an enlarging heart. I took her to the vet two weeks ago for the cough and they saw a small amount of edema in her lung behind the heart so gave her two weeks of Lasix which did not clear up the cough. She breathes fast - average about 60 breaths per minute, this has been normal for some time - a couple of years - so unrelated to this cough. Since the Lasix didn't clear the cough they said it was not related to the heart issue and called it bronchitis with the above prescription.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Reba
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 13 days ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. How long has she been coughing?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
From the beginning about a month. But a couple of times per day, not a constant thing. When it got consistently to a couple of times a day is when I took her to the clinic a couple of weeks ago. But it has escalated tonight, I left home around 2 this afternoon and she was ok. When I got home just before 6 she was panting hard and coughing constantly as long as she was walking around. This went on for about 25 minutes. She is now lying quietly and not panting hard now. I read side effects of the Temaril P includes panting - not sure if that is what is the problem

I would hold on the doses for now, because she is at rest and missing a single dose of either medication is not going to make or break her treatment. How was she diagnosed with bronchitis? Has she had X-rays of her chest, blood work and a fecal?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
to all three - chest xrays, blood work and fecal. She has never been sick before, just had the heart murmur which was identified about 3 years ago. She had a cyst removed over a year ago and we did xrays then to get a baseline on her heart. It has enlarged slightly since then but not dramatic - I think they said the original score was 11.7 and now is 12.3. She has been lying quietly for about 15 minutes and just now started coughing again while laying there.

what is her resting respiratory rate. You get this by counting how many breaths she takes in 15 seconds. Let me know when you get the value.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
140. This is the highest it has been when I have been monitoring her. The highest it has been before was 102 while I have been monitoring.

I have to say, that I am concerned that she is worse since starting the steroid (temaril P) and the fact that she has a heart murmur and her vertebral heart score has increased. I am more inclined to lean towards a potential heart problem causing the exacerbation of the cough. do you have a local emergency clinic you can take her to?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
you think I need to find one rather than waiting until morning? I don't know one offhand, but I know there are some around. I can't afford a million dollars which is why I was hoping to wait until morning

Because you have seen an increase of 25% in the resting heart rate and she can't stop coughing, I think you should take her in tonight. All you need is a good physical exam and chest X-rays. You do not have to do a full workup, so that should help keep costs down. If her lungs do not show evidence of fluid and her oxygen levels (SPO2) are normal, then you can see your local veterinarian tomorrow. Best to be safe. I can help you find a local emergency clinic is you send me your city/state/area code

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I just talked to my clinics after hpurs line and it looks like i can take her there. Thank you.

That is great!!! Your welcome. Let me know what you find out, if you don't mind. You can continue to post on this thread for a couple of days, even after rating my response. take care.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok. Thank you

You're welcome.