Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He is extremely leathargic, tries to drink water but it

Customer Question

he is extremely leathargic, tries to drink water but it comes back up, expelled blood today, will not eat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Squirt not sure around 10 - 11 months
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: squirt
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about squirt?
Customer: he is not on heart worm medication but is always energetic until now
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to learn Squirt is not feeling well. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going?

2- Does he have diarrhea?

3- Was the blood in the vomit?

4- Did he get into anything?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Two days
He always gets in trash
I wasn't home when he expelled the blood but I believe it was from his rear
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can't afford the call please text your reply
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Why aren't you helping me
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Text is fine.

1- Does he have diarrhea?

2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

3- How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No diarrhea that I noticed but I was not home when the blood was expelled. Why aren't you reading my answers. Gums seem normal but cold from water
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not sure if his weight but can tell he has lost about tens pounds
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am reading your answer. Please realize there will be a delay in between text, I am sorry.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- How many hours since the last time he vomited?

2- What breed is he?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He really isn't vomiting. The water just spills back out. Mixed breed. Boxer and lab
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, I am going to opt out and allow another expert to comment. I don't think I could be of much help without a hands-on examination, I am sorry.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Peter for you. Simply stated, any dog who is extremely lethargic, can't retain water, is anorexic and is passing blood is critically ill and needs the attention of his vet at your earliest convenience. At his young age, parvovirus and foreign body ingestion are important considerations and both require hospitalization, intraveneous fluid administration to replace fluids and electrolytes lost in the vomitus and from his bowels, and diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and imaging in form of X-rays or ultrasound of his gastrointestinal tract.

Please continue our conversation if you wish but I'd rather you were on your way to the vet.