Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 2yr old /pitbull female threw up a bunch a couple hrs ago

Customer Question

My 2yr old weenie/pitbull female threw up a bunch a couple hrs ago so i put her outside, when i went out to find her a while later she was just laying in the dirt not moving. I tried to get her to stand up she got all wobbly and shaky kind a twitchy wont stand on her own her nose is dry and warm but skin is cold to the touch. What can cause this?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: she has all her shots she don't get out of my yard, i don't understand this
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Can she keep water down?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you, but as I am quite concerned about your lass I do want to leave my thoughts in case you are having issues replying.

First, in regards ***** ***** question, we can see profusely vomiting dogs collapse for a few different reasons. Vomiting can cause blood sugar levels to fall dangerously low, can cause weakness due to dehydration and nutrition loss, can also cause breathing compromise (worse if she has a collapsing trachea), and even over stimulation of the nervous system. And of course, any toxin exposure could also cause this type of situation. So, as you can see there can be a range of reasons why we have found her this way and all of them could have chilled her as well.

Now those are side effects of vomiting, so we need to also be aware that this could be caused by an underlying gut infection pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (which sounds possibly less of a worry here).

Now no matter the cause, we need to start supportive care. To start, since she is weak and lethargic, I want you to try boosting her blood sugar. You can do so by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into her and hopefully perk her up for us.

Since dehydration is a concern, you will next need to check her hydration.Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you do find these dehydration signs, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

If that is fine and she perks up with the sugar boost, then we need to tackle her nausea.

You can try to do this with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. But of course, if she cannot keep this down, then we’d want her local vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

After she is settled, we can follow up with small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Finally, if you have a heating pad, we will want to also use this to gently rewarm her. Of course, we need to monitor her closely since we don’t want her to overheat and we cannot be sure she’d move on her own if she is quite weak.

Overall, her collapse tells us that this vomiting and/or the underlying cause is taking a major toll on her. Therefore, we’d want to use the above steps just now but if we cannot get her more alert and settled, then we’d want her seen urgently. The local vet can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, your vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.