Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Our dog, Molly, is 14 years old and has started pacing

Customer Question

Our dog, Molly, is 14 years old and has started pacing non-stop. She was just doing it at night but now it is continually.
She is on Gabapentin for "episodes" - has been on it for a few years. She is on Rimadyl, Anipryl, and Xanax. We only give her the Xanax at night. We have just started giving her melatonin in the evening. Anything to help her rest.
She continually walks and gets lost in the house, plus, if she goes outside she can't find her way back in. How do we know if we are just keeping her alive for us
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 14 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Molly. Her progressive aimless pacing and disorientation indicate encephalopathy (brain disorder) and the most common of the encephalopathies at her advanced age is brain tumor. I understand how difficult this is for both her and you at this time. You have a difficult decision to make and I believe that it would be appropriate to have the final kindness performed sooner than later. Dogs such as Molly can't improve. In fact, seizures may arise as a tumor continues to enlarge and/or her brain continues to deteriorate.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you. I guess my husband and I have some decisions to make
Thank you

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bonita Waller. How is everything going?