Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Just ate a few pieces of a mosquito coil, Oliver 10mths

Just ate a few pieces of a mosquito coil
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Oliver 10mths Pomeranian
JA: How old is Oliver?
Customer: 10mths
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oliver?
Customer: no thanks

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Oliver. I have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind:

How long ago did he ingest the mosquito coil?

And, to confirm, he just ate a few pieces of it? Not the whole thing?

How much does he weigh?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
5mins ago. A few pieces. 7lbs

Thanks for the answers to my questions. Please give me just a minute to type back a response for you. Deb

There may be a problem with the site. I typed a response back but now don't see it. Did you receive anything on your end? If not, I'll retype it.

My apologies for the confusion. Deb

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I don't see anything

I'm so sorry:(

I'll retype and resend. Deb

Fortunately, the active ingredient in this coil has low oral toxicity and is present in very small concentrations so there's not not a toxicological or poison concern.

The biggest worry is the potential for a foreign body obstruction when a large amount or the whole thing is eaten. But even though he's such as a small dog, since he only ate a few pieces, I wouldn't expect there to be any issues for him. He should pass it although diarrhea may develop in 12-24 hours. If it should, then a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice should resolve the problem pretty quickly.

If you wanted to induce vomiting, you could since so little time has passed although I honestly don't think it's necessary. But if you have 3% fresh hydrogen peroxide (it should bubble and fizz), then 1 teaspoon mixed with bread can be given. Walk him around and repeat the dose in 15 minutes, if necessary. Not all dog will vomit when peroxide is given but most will.

I hope this helps, although again, my apologies for the site issues. Deb

Hello again,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oliver. How are things going with him since he ate the mosquito coil? Deb

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He's great! No problems at all. Thank you so much for following up!Amanda

Amanda.

I didn't really expect any issues but it's always nice to have it confirmed. I appreciate that you took the time to send me an update.

Best of luck with keeping him out of trouble since the next time he decides to eat something inappropriate, it may be more problematic! Kind regards, Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb