Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog is roughly 15-16 yrs old s bulldog/pug mix and

My dog is roughly 15-16 yrs old s bulldog/pug mix and urinating some blood, was wondering if it's safe to give him minocycline (prescribed to me) to start him on antibiotic until I can have my vet come to the house?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bulldog's name?
Customer: Seminole aka boobie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about boobie?
Customer: No his spirits are good no sign of any pain or anything

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Boobie. I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind:

Can you tell me how much he weighs?

What milligram size of Minocycline do you have?

Is he neutered?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He weighs about 45-50 lbs, he is neutered and the medication is 50mg

Thanks for the answers to my questions. Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience.

Deb

It sounds as if Boobie may have a urinary tract infection (UTI). Since he's been neutered, issues with his prostate seem less likely although they can't entirely be ruled out.

Minocycline can be given to dogs and can actually be used for urinary tract issues especially if a culture and sensitivity indicates that the particular bacteria growing in the bladder is sensitive to it.

My only hesitation about its use is that it may affect a urinalysis if one is done by your vet when/if Boogie is seen. If a culture and sensitivity is done while the patient is taking antibiotics, then the results can definitely be affected and can, thus, be difficult to interpret for some patients.

But, to specifically answer your question: The dose of Minocycline that I'd use for a dog this size would be 100 mg twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset. If this drug is given on an empty stomach, most patients will vomit so be sure to make sure he's had a good meal when it's given.

I should mention that it would be illegal for me to advise the use of a drug for whom it wasn't prescribed (human or pet) but I can provide the dosage information which is what I've done.

I would also encourage increased fluid consumption to help flush out the bladder.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so very much, it was a huge help. I greatly appreciate it, thank you!

You're more than welcome.

Best of luck with him. Kind regards, Deb