Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate spurs from oit side and has been sick every sence

Customer Question

My dog ate spurs from oit side and has been sick every sence and is tryong to hack them ip but doesn't seem to be able to get them up. Please help me i don't know what to do.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What do you mean by "spurs from oit side"? Do you mean like plant burrs from outside?

How long ago did he eat them?

Any vomiting?

Can he keep food and water down?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again

I have not heard back from you regarding Panda but wanted to leave my thoughts in case you were struggling to reply.

Now we can see hacking and coughing after dogs eat eat odd items. Since I did think you meant a plant based burr here, I do want to note that rarely are these stuck in the throat but instead do tend to cause significant throat inflammation.

In these cases, we tend to find supportive care helpful. To start, we do tend to start soft, easy to digest food options like rice with boiled chicken, cottage cheese or scrambled egg. These are easy on the throat and stomach. As well, if a burr was caught, they can help push it out of the throat and into the stomach to digest.

As well, to reduce and soothe this cough/hacking here, you can try giving a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here.

Finally, if Panda is severely affected and the above doesn’t ease her signs, then we’d want a check with your vet. They can just make sure nothing is caught and most importantly start an injectable anti-inflammatory treatment to reduce that inflammation and get her settled quickly.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
Hi Talicia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Panda. How is everything going?

Dr. B.