Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My maltese poodle (1yr & about 4.5kgs) had diarrhea on the

Customer Question

My maltese poodle (1yr & about 4.5kgs) had diarrhea on the weekend. Vet prescribed metrogyl once a day and trisoprim. I've been administering as instructed. She no longer has diarrhea. Unfortunately.. until just now (Thursday night) ... I haven't seen her poo since (I've just started a new job and so she's home alone all day) but tonight she ran for the back door seemingly urgent, rushed out to the garden, found a spot, assumed the position... and I heard a little squish sound..she stayed there for a few seconds more(couldn't see anything coming out).. found another spot, assumed the position & nothing..
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the poodle's name?
Customer: It's Carly, She's eating normally.. about 200g a day..she's fed raw but I've kept her to just chicken this week with a chicken rib here and there just so she didn't get too runny again.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your poodle?
Customer: Aside from no poop that I've seen.. she's acting normally.. excited to see us when we're home.. playing and running around the garden chasing insects... I'm just wondering if this is caused by the Metrogyl and if maybe I should stop it? I have 3 days left
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Poor lass!

In regards ***** ***** question, we can see posturing like this if they have colonic inflammation (often present secondary to diarrhea, but less likely if this started after the diarrhea stopped) or constipation.

In regards ***** ***** to approach this, we don't want to stop her medications since that could lead to relapse if the bacteria hasn't been fully cleared. Instead, we'd want to try to encourage normal stool passage. To do so, the first step would be to add fiber to her diet. Often we can do so by adding canned or boiled pumpkin to their meals. As well, since she is straining quite a it, we can also start treating her with OTC cat hairball treatment. This can be used 2-3 times daily until we get her passing stools. And usually these can help get things moving with 12-24 hours. Of course, if she has any belly discomfort or doesnt' start passing stools, we' want to have a re-check with her vet as a mild enema may be needed to just get her back to normal.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Cat hairball treatment? Really? How would this help?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Absolutely, cat hairball treatments are made of poorly gut absorbable (so they last in the gut) GI lubricants. So, we often use them in either species to gently facilitate fecal passage. And I tend to find these a better option then our liquid Gi lubricants since those can restart diarrhea in some patients.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.