Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog must have eateb something. She is pantin, drinking

Customer Question

my dog must have eateb something. She is pantin, drinking water and throwing up she looks very bloated.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did must eat anything unusual?
Customer: She' an 8 yo mix weighing 25 lb.
JA: How old is must?
Customer: She had to have eaten something. Possibly chicken feed
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about must?
Customer: She is very unconfortable. She drinks water and throws up. I'm sure she is in pain
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

It does sound like she is uncomfortable. The question is whether this is an obstruction of the bowel that requires surgery or if it's just some irritation from some chicken feed or something else she ate. The way to differentiate is with abdominal x-rays.

If the x-rays are normal, then we treat with anti-nausea meds, fluids and antibiotics. If there is an obstruction, then it's off to surgery to relieve it.

If you can get them tonight, that would be ideal. If not, then I would hold off on food or water for the next 6-8 hours to see if that settles the stomach down. If you have an antacid at home, that could also help. I would recommend Famotidine (Pepcid AC)- 10 mg orally.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.