Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My dog ate parts of a plastic bag this afternoon. Just 30

Customer Question

Hi. My dog ate parts of a plastic bag this afternoon. Just 30 min ago I came home and gave her a treat and she threw it up and then started to walk around throwing up then she started to act abnormal.... anxiously running away from me(she never does that) and trying to lick dirt and find any cat hair on the floor and even bit parts of the rug, ate them, then threw them up im concerned that she may have blockage
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: she's a three year old dachshund no health issues
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 14 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear that your pup ingested pieces of a plastic bag this afternoon and has now vomited a treat and behaving as if she is very nauseous. Licking and eating non-food items is called Pica and often indicates nausea.

I think that given her history your concern about a possible blockage is spot-on. Plastic is not digestible and easily becomes wadded up and stuck in the gastrointestinal tract.

I highly recommend an examination at an emergency clinic tonight. They will likely want to take some radiographs or an abdominal ultrasound to look for a dilated intestinal tract or abnormal gas patterns which would indicate an obstruction.

She may need surgery. If she has an obstruction then surgery is best done sooner rather than later to avoid permanent damage to her intestinal walls and possible secondary peritonitis.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 11 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 11 days ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not I would appreciate an update on your pup, thank you, ***** *****