Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog is an 8 year old dachsund Mini Pin mix. A few months

Customer Question

My dog is an 8 year old dachsund Mini Pin mix. A few months ago she began vomitting after most meals. We feed her a homemade diet consisting of Chicken with rice and carrots and sometimes yellow squash. The volume fed is 1/3 Cup morning and night. We also include in her morning portion 1/8 if a spoon of Pro Pet Powder (Diatomaceous Earth fortified with Probiotics/Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Enzymes, Yeast Culture, Chelated Trace Minerals and Multivitamins) We have fed her this diet for 7.5 years now and she has thrived on it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: She has been injesting grass and I realize that dogs do this when they have an upset stomach.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Clarabelle
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Clarabelle?
Customer: We adopted Clarabelle at 3 weeks of age due to the fact that her mother developed mamrae cancer and was no longer able to feed her pups. We hand fed her purina puppy chow soaked in goats milk for the first 6 weeks we had her. She is current on all vaccinations
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. You are obviously very devoted to Clarabelle. I have couple of questions to get a better sense of what is going on. Is the recipe you are making a complete and balanced diet? There are some supplements that can be added to home cooked that will balance it out. How often is she vomiting? Has she had any bloodwork since the vomiting started? Is she losing any weight? Does she get any treats or marrow bones? Lets starts there.