Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

She tasted cat food and now she refused to eat anaything

Customer Question

she tasted cat food and now she refused to eat anaything else!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** a tiny tiny doxie, and is 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about peanut?
Customer: She is bring treated for renal failure with what used to be RX dog food and kidney support suppliments which she still takes
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 9 days ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my response. Thank you.

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 9 days ago.

It sounds like Peanut is adorable. Cat food has more fat that dog food and some dogs do prefer it. Because she is on a kidney failure diet it is going to be very important to get her eating back on track. I would make sure that you offer her the canned version of her kidney diet. If she will not eat it, then there are a couple of other prescription foods that are good for kidney disease that you can try. Your other option, is to put a teaspoon of the canned feline kidney diet in with Peanut's food to get her back on the right food an then gradually start to decrease the feline renal diet. Feel free to ask any follow up questions. If you are satisfied with my response, then please take time to rate my answer. You can continue posting on this thread for a couple of days, even after rating. Take care.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you. I kind of knew cat food was not good for her. She will pick at it if I stick to my guns and give her nothing else. She is so sweet and I love her to pieces and am trying to extend her life time as much as possible. I am also giving her drops called Kidney Support Gold....I put it in a tiny little piece of meat and she gobbles it right down with no problem and it has made a world of difference in her! I will no longer give her any cat food. I appreciate your help very much. Thank you! :)
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
When I say pick at it I mean the Rx. renal food for her. I am no longer going to give her any cat food. Can you name different brands of renal dog food that I can try? Thank you so very much!
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 8 days ago.

You're welcome. My top renal diet is Science Diet K/D, which comes in a few different flavors. Purina also has a prescription line that is well tolerated (NF). With some of my patients, the owners have to make a renal diet. You can go to and have a recipe put together for a renal home cooked diet and they will send the supplements you need to add to make it complete and balanced. It is from the veterinary school at UC Davis and very reliable.

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 6 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill