How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4997
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

He ate 4 oz of 90% cacao dark chocolate insweetened, Finn he

Customer Question

He ate 4 oz of 90% cacao dark chocolate insweetened
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Finn he is 40 - 45 lb Boykin spaniel and is 4 yr old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Finn?
Customer: He has eaten a lot of chocolate with no effects before but never daark chocolate
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** How long ago did Finn eat this amount of the dark chocolate? Does he have any other health issues or is he on any other medications?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No other health issues and probably about 30 minutes to an hour agp
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Ok. This is a very serious situation that could result in death if not dealt with in a proper manner. He's ingested it in a time frame that allows treatment to be started up to prevent him from having life threatening issues from it. What I'd recommend is getting him to your vet / ER clinic so they can induce vomiting to try and bring up as much of it as possible. Chocolate in the stomach is very sticky and it isn't cleared very well in some cases. So after vomiting is induced, giving them some medication to settle their stomach and then giving activated charcoal orally will help to bind more of the chocolate that is left. I would at my ER then keep him over the next 12-15 hours on IV fluids to help him process out the components faster (it is eliminated through the renal system). During this time, he would be observed for abnormal heart rates / rhythms / and seizures.