Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

He has been backing up - sometimes scratching as he backs up

Customer Question

He has been backing up - sometimes scratching as he backs up - and whining.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lobster and he is 10. He is a mixed long hair Chihuahua.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lobster?
Customer: Just appears to be anxious and wants lots of attention.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Krista Kline replied 1 month ago.

Hi I am Dr. Kline and I am sorry to hear that Lobster hasn't been feeling the greatest. From what I was reading you stated that he is backing up and scratching as he backs up correct? Would you mind answering a few more questions regarding Lobster? Is he scooting on the floor (rubbing his butt on the floor)? Is he itching anywhere else? Is he currently on flea mediciation and what kind if yes? Is he eating and drinking? Any other issues?

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that Lobster is not feeling well....

From what you have told me, it appears that your sweet guy is suffering from an allergic reaction that could be due to many things such as fleas, pollen , foods.This itching that Lobster feels is making him anxious and insecure and clingy because of the discomfort.

For now , follow these instructions:

Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation.
Give Lobster Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.
If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****