Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My pug is diabetic and is on insulin. She is given 7 units

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: My pug is diabetic and is on insulin. She is given 7 units twice a dog and is 14 lb is that normal?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry your dog has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Marley Just had her glucose checked yesterday and it was at 480 so the vet im increased from 6 to 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Marley?
Customer: She's 11 and started a new food about a month ago
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Unfortunately there is significant variation with each individual pet as for how much insulin is required to control diabetes. I have a few patients that are on 1-2 units twice daily while yet another is now on 12 units twice daily at this size because he is no longer controlled. We look at the glucose levels throughout the day (typically not just one level) as well as a fructosamine and their overall quality of life to determine whether an adjustment in the insulin is needed.

Yes, a dose of 7 units twice daily can be a viable treatment level for a 14 pound dog that is not yet controlled with diet and 6 units twice daily

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman