Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Gallagher is an Irish Wolfhound. He weighs 120 lbs and will

Customer Question

Gallagher is an Irish Wolfhound. He weighs 120 lbs and will be 10 years old October 26th. This morning he started jumping around back yard playing and turned his front right leg or paw. Yelped. When I move and feel leg and paw he doesn't mind but is having trouble putting his weight on it. I gave him an asprin and wrapped it up with ace bandage. Is it okay to put the ace bandage on him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes. No wound. He just twisted it.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Gallagher
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gallagher?
Customer: I give him Glucosamine every day and we walk about between one mile and 1/2 mile every morning and another 1/2 mile late afternoon.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. I wouldn't recommend putting an Ace bandage around the leg. There is a risk of cutting off circulation. Plus, it most likely isn't his paw that is bothering him. Chances are that it is his elbow, shoulder or neck. The best thing to do is give him some rest for a few days. No heavy playing, long walks or running around like he was doing. If the limping is getting worse at any time or not better in 5 days, I would have your vet check him out. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Gallagher is doing and to see if you have any further questions.