Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is lethargic. You would think she was on drugs. Very

Customer Question

my dog is lethargic. You would think she was on drugs. Very slow getting up but doesn't seem in pain.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Summer and about 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Summer?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Lethargy is such a nonspecific and nondiagnostic sign that we need supportive evidence in the form of additional signs and diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests, and perhaps imaging in the form of X-rays or ultrasound to better understand why her lethargy is present. How long has she been lethargic? Is she spayed? In order to determine the urgency of having her attended to by her vet, I need you to check her vital signs for me.

1) Check her gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to her tissues).

2) Check her respiratory rate. She should be taking less than 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest.

3) Take her rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into her rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?