Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She licks her paws all the time. When I leave her in the

Customer Question

She licks her paws all the time. When I leave her in the kennel for an hour her paws are soaked clear to the elbow.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She's a rescue they estimate about 5. Name is Lexi. Multipoo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She's a sweetheart. Minds well. Appetite good.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is the skin on her paws red and irritated, or is there any hair loss?

Does she tend to be an anxious dog?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No to the first question. I didn't think she was anxious, but today I proved it's the crate. I wonder if she might have "lived" in a crate before. I have had her since May 24. First time I left her alone she peed and pooped at the door. So I bought a kennel. Ha!! If I don't make sure she's gone recently and then put her in the kennel for and hour or more, she will go in the kennel. Today I coaxed her to potty before I left for 2-1\2 hrs. She did great. But she still will lick and lick and make a big wet spot on the sofa cover where she lays. Should I be concerned?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the information. It really does sound like an anxiety or boredom issue to me. Dogs will lick the paws due to allergies as well, but I would expect to see redness, swelling or hair loss. If that is all she does, it shouldn't be a big medical concern, unless she causes sores on her paws from licking. That is assuming you don't mind a big wet spot on your couch daily. I would talk to your vet about trying her on a anti-anxiety medication to see how that helps. It may not be something that she takes for the rest of her life, but she may be on it for a few months to help break the cycle. They can really help with these type of anxiety/OCD behaviors, though. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.