Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I think he may have eaten some dried oleander leaves whilst

Customer Question

I think he may have eaten some dried oleander leaves whilst eating a bone on Monday, she was violently sick Monday night/tuesday morning and goes hours and then sicks up bile, I starved her yesterday I fed her this morning and she kept that down, but again has just bought up bile a good 6 hours after eating - not food in it just bile - not sure what I should be doing for her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dixie and she is 3 and a half
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dixie?
Customer: only that she has allergies to wheat, soya and rice :-(
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 10 days ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. While oleander can cause vomiting, drooling, nausea and lack of appetite; I am more concern about the effects it can have on the heart. It can cause some life threatening heart arrhythmia and seizures. Just because of that reason, my best advice is to get her to your vet. Even if everything looks good with her heart, they can give her an antinausea injection, medication to settle the stomach and fluids to get her past this faster. Going on two day, she can get very dehydrated and make things worse. Besides the withholding of food and trying something bland like boneless skinless chicken breast and rice; the only thing you can safely give a dog at home for nausea is Pepcid or Prilosec. They are usually very safe at 2.5 mg per 10 lbs of body weight daily, but they will not do anything if her heart is affected by this toxicity. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 days ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Dixie is doing and to see if you have any other questions.