Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

She won't open her one eye and the other one looks bad too.

Customer Question

she won't open her one eye and the other one looks bad too. There was some discharge. Is this allergies? and what kind of drops should I use?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sadie and she's 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sadie?
Customer: no, she's healthy in every other way. I keep her weight down, she has lots of energy. This just showed up this morning
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Allergies are certainly a possibility but at their worst they lead to a conjunctivitis and secondary infection. A dog can, however, cause secondary injury to her own eyes by rubbing (scratches, ulcers). There are many other possible causes of what you seeing (keeping her eyes closed with some discharge) such as contact irritant (something got into her eyes and perhaps cause ulceration), intraocular problem (such as glaucoma or uveitis), eyelid issue (sometimes associated with allergies) and the list continues.

Over-the-counter and without an exam there is not a lot you can use. The only safe product would be a lubricating eye gel such as Celluvisc or Refresh which you can instill every 2 to 4 hours. It provides some lubrication but will not treat anything. You should not use anything else in the eye without an exam. So, the best next step for her is to take her to see her veterinarian for an exam and possibly some testing to know if this is due to corneal ulcers or intraocular problem. This is particularly important if the eye(s) look red or cloudy. IF we miss something like glaucoma which can come on very suddenly, then she could go blind, if not treated quickly.

However, if you feel her discharge and irritation is mild then you could flush her eyes with a sterile eye wash as made for people and then use the lubricating drops as mentioned above. If not improved or worsening in the next day then she must be seen.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
can I use a contact solution like I use for my own eyes to wash out her eyes?