Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog won't eat or drink, she's swaying, and her gums are

Customer Question

My dog won't eat or drink, she's swaying, and her gums are sticky. She's also considerably less active.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is***** almost 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Iggy?
Customer: No I don't think so.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she has these signs?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Any changes to her breathing?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
She had these signs for about 2 hours, however she is not exhibiting them anymore and is acting fine. She was not gagging or vomiting, her breathing was normal, her gums were a little pale and sticky and she had no discomfort in her belly. I just want to know if I should still take her in since she's acting fine now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 days ago.

Thank goodness,

I am glad to hear that Iggy is feeling better. Though if her gums are a bit pale and sticky, we do need to monitor that. Stickiness is a sign of dehydration creeping in. Therefore, we do want to encourage her to drink and for peace of mind it would be ideal to check her hydration just now. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you do find these dehydration signs, then that would be our cue to have her seen at this point.

Otherwise, you can choose to monitor her. And while I am glad to hear that she wasnt' actively vomiting, appetite loss is often nausea related. Therefore, you can choose to put her onto a light diet for a few days. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free).

Overall, if she has totally settled then we dont' need to rush her in. Though we do want to monitor and can use the above just now to make sure she isn't any more dehydrated and keep her stomach settled. Of course, any relapses and a check up would be ideal.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.