Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

13 y/o teeth issues with some pain I have tramadol-ketarolac

Customer Question

13 y/o teeth issues with some pain I have tramadol-ketarolac 25/10 mg is it safe to give some to my 22 Lbs. 13 year old female Schanuzer?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Moon
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Moon?
Customer: she had a hip and knee surgery about 4 years ago, she was hit by a car
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 14 days ago.

I'm sorry to see that you have been waiting a while for a response, I suspect that is related to the time that you posed your question (late evening when few experts are online) and because ketorolac is not commonly used in dogs.

Tramadol is used for pain in dogs and a normal low dose would be 1-2mgs per pound of body weight every 6-12 hours as needed. 25mgs would be a fine dose for her body weight. Tramadol alone is rarely enough for good pain control in dogs however, and is usually combined with other drugs (often nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories).

Ketorolac is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory. It has a very narrow margin of safety in dogs and can lead to significant gastrointestinal irritation and ulceration. If it is used it is generally given once for acute or surgical pain at a dose of 0.15mg per pound of body weight and gastroprotectant drugs are given as a precaution. If she is 22 pounds she would take 0.3mgs. 10mgs would be much too much for a 22 pound dog. I would not recommend using this drug combination for your girl.

Again, my apologies for your wait. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 11 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not I would appreciate an update on your pup, thank you, ***** *****