Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.

I went to smack my puppy on the nose but she moved and I hit

Customer Question

I went to smack my puppy on the nose but she moved and I hit the top of her eye. Now its red around it, but not swollen. Should I be concerned? She seems to see fine and I've only seen her paw at it once while she was playing on her back
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your puppy?
Customer: no
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about your puppy's troubles. As long as the redness is in the conjunctiva, which is the tissue surrounding the eye and not the eyeball itself, you can flush the eye with saline solution or artificial tears. Do this 3-4 times a day. You can also apply a cold washcloth if she'll tolerate it. If it is just irritation in the conjunctiva, it should be fine in a couple of days. You can also apply a small dab of triple antibiotic ointment in the eye but beware that it may cloud her vision for a little while so she may act a little funny until it settles.

If the redness is in the eyeball itself, you should have a vet check it out to be sure there isn't a scratch on the cornea. If there is excessive drainage from the eye or she starts to become very bothered by it such as constantly rubs at it or holds it shut, it would be time to see a vet.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
If I don't have any solutions and she wont hold still for a wash cloth, will it still go away on it's own?
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 days ago.

If it is just irritation of the conjunctiva, it should. You can use plain water to flush it too. Sometimes that just helps it feel better. If the redness has not gone away in 2-3 days, or it gets worse or develops a discharge, it would be time for a vet.