Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Little bumps on the inside of the hind legs, and she is

Customer Question

little bumps on the inside of the hind legs, and she is scratching more then usual
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wounds
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: bella and she is two
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about bella?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I will give you a list of things to help with allergies but this sounds like a staph pyoderma or skin infection that will require oral antibiotics to resolve (CLICK HERE for more information)

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch. This might cause mild sedation but this will subside with use
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo on the area twice daily at first with ten minute contact time before rinsing then taper as the areas resolve
- If necessary a thin layer of a 1% cortisone cream to the areas of irritation and chewing. Please wipe off after ten minute to minimize systemic absorption but also prevent ingesting it when licking
- A cone or e- collar that you can purchase at your local petstore to break the cycle of chewing which introduces oral bacteria and can exacerbate this infection

I hope this information is helpful but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 15 minutes tonight

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!